What is Meditation?
Meditation is a practice that develops a sense of calm and peace. It keeps you in the present moment and develops the sense of self-awareness that is free of judgement. Meditation and yoga poses are intrinsically linked. Historically, the physical poses in yoga were completed to prepare the body for meditation, to open and stretch the body to enable you to sit comfortably for long periods of time.
Aerial Yoga Meditation Poses
Fish Pose. In aerial yoga, we do our guided meditation in fish pose, which is similar to corpse pose in land-based yoga. You simply lie on your back in the hammock, with your whole body encompassed by the hammock.
Butterfly Chrysalis. Begin in Pac-Man with legs covered. Then brings the soles of the feet together to find Butterfly Chrysalis. Breathe deeply and begin to focus your mind.
Learn More About Meditation
Our FUN brain-based aerial yoga classes are beneficial to the brain and body to support physical and emotional growth in ALL children. Our unique classes utilize evidence-based tools to teach social and emotional learning and mindfulness. I work on deep breathing, meditation, and other techniques that help children be calmer, happier, healthier, and more focused Join us for an aerial yoga class or aerial yoga camp. Or read my book, Mindfulness for Children, it is has several guided meditation stories. Need more help? Sign up for an initial assessment.
- Find a quiet space, where you feel peaceful and won’t be disturbed.
- The traditional time of day to meditate is morning as it is quiet time of renewal, but you can meditate anytime.
- Start out meditating for 3 minutes, daily, after a week increase the time each week, by 1 minute.
- Set a timer or listen to a guided mediation so you don’t check your watch or phone.
- When you feel distracted, just notice your thoughts and bring your attention back to your breath.
Real World Benefits
- Reduces Anxiety and Depression. Learning to be aware of depressed or anxious thought helps people to manage them.
- Lowers Stress Hormones. After 8-weeks subjects in a Psychiatry Research study showed less stress as revealed by a decrease in blood levels of cortisol.
- Decreases Inflammation. Meditation can reduce the activity of genes that make inflammation in the body. Less inflammation leads to better health.