The combination of breathing, movement, and mindfulness is a powerful way to help your child de-stress. Aerial yoga like all forms of movement moves emotions. The mind, movement, and breath are all connected to the relaxation response. Children can reduce their anxiety through aerial yoga poses, breathing, and focus of the mind.
Here is some of the recognized benefits that aerial yoga at Mindful Child can provide for your child’s mental health. Aerial Yoga:
- Activates the quieting reflexes of the brain and nervous system. At the end of every mindful child aerial yoga class, children lay in fish pose. Fish pose provides sensory input in the form of tactile (touch), proprioception (deep pressure), and vestibular (movement), which, in turn, reduces stress and tension.
- Encourages deep breathing. Using language that resonates with kids, incorporating the senses, and making breathing part of a story or obstacle course motivates kids to breathe deeply.
- Enhances the relaxation response through movement and poses. Going upside down, when supported through the aerial yoga hammock, is calming to the central nervous system.
- Introduces children to mindfulness. Simple mindfulness activities, in the aerial yoga hammock, provide children with tools to assist them in counteracting stress and anxiety in their daily lives.
- Builds adaptive skills such as self-esteem and confidence. Aerial yoga requires strength and lots of practice to climb to poses. When children see their effort pay off by being able to climb up the hammock – it teaches them that with persistence and effort they can achieve any goal!
If you want to learn more ways aerial yoga can decrease anxiety and enhance your child’s well-being sign up for a free trial class at Mindful Child Aerial Yoga.