- Origami Paper
- Ambient Music
What is MindFOLD Butterfly?
Do you remember making paper creations as a child? Once you learned the initial folds the practice of folding the paper became calming and meditative. Origami is a peaceful art activity that can promote mindfulness in the form of a focused attention meditation. Focus is required to fold the paper correctly and your child’s sense of touch is activated keeping him engaged as he makes the folds. There is also the intrinsic reward of making something wonderful out of an ordinary piece of paper.
What are the Benefits?
Mindfold Butterfly helps children build patience, focus, and concentration. Mindfold Butterfly also enhances relaxation and eye hand coordination. This activity improves executive functioning skills and mindful awareness.
What to Say.
Let’s make a mindfold origami butterfly. Origami is an art activity where you fold paper to make amazing mindful creations. Remember to breathe in and out through your nose and really focus on your folds. Sometimes origami can be tricky if you haven’t done it before so we need to really engage all of our senses and be mindful. Remember to use kind words to yourself and keep trying even though it may be a little challenging. I’m going to play some music while we fold.
These are the steps to mindfully fold your paper:
- Fold your origami paper in half (vertically). Then unfold it. Make sure there is a crease
- Next, fold the paper in half (horizontally). Then unfold it.
- Fold the top left point down to meet the bottom right point of the paper. It is a diagonal fold (making a triangle). Then unfold it.
- Fold the top right point down to meet the bottom left point of the paper. It is a diagonal fold (making a triangle). Then unfold it.
- Bring the two middle folds together (right and left middle of paper) and the paper will fold in to itself making a triangle.
- Turn the triangle upside down.
- Take the right corner and fold it in to make triangle. Take the left corner and do the same thing. The straight edges from the top should line up to make a diamond.
- Turn it over so the triangle point is at the top and fold the bottom of the triangle up.
- Tuck the tip that sticks out over the top down to make the head, but only do the top piece of paper. Turn it over. Unfold the triangle to make your bottom wings.
Behold your beautiful butterfly! Want to learn more ways to practice mindfulness? Sign-up for a Mindful Child camp! Camps are full of mindfulness and FUN!
Parents, if you need a visual step-by-step guide this YouTube tutorial will show you the origami butterfly folding steps.