- 1 1/4 cups organic flour
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Organic food coloring
- Chunky glitter
- 4-5 drops Young Living essential oils (Peppermint, Grapefruit)
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup boiling water
Squishing, rolling, pulling, creating… children of all ages enjoy playing with playDough. In addition to being fun, PlayDough has multiple developmental benefits. Our homemade dough feels and smells amazing – making it a simple and natural stress relieving mindfulness tool.
What are the benefits?
Squishing and pulling PlayDough can increase fine motor skills. It strengthens the muscles in the fingers that are needed to climb an aerial hammock or hold a pencil at school. Manipulating PlayDough helps children develop hand-eye coordination. Rolling and pressing PlayDough into cookie cutters provides deep pressure to the joints, which enhances one of our hidden senses called proprioception.
How to Make Amazing Dough.
- To start, add the flour, salt, and cream of tartar in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir with an electric mixer.
- Combine the essential oil of choice with the vegetable oil and mix into the dry ingredients.
- Bring your water to a boil. Add any food coloring to the boiling water.
- While stirring with an electric mixer, slowly add the water to the dry ingredients.
- Continue to mix until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl.
- Next, shake in a little glitter, but not too much or it won’t stick together.
- Knead the dough until smooth.
- Store your dough in an air-tight container.