Air Surfer Pose is a fun way to build confidence in the aerial yoga hammock. This pose is essentially standing in the hammock while you swing or ride the air surf. This pose is for two-point hammocks only, as you want the hammock to be like your standing on a surfboard riding the waves.
What are the benefits?
Air Surfer Pose exercises the body and your child’s imagination. Swinging side-to-side provides sensory input, muscle awareness, and builds motor planning. It improves balance, grip strength and is a mood buster. Swinging, whether sitting or standing, can increase endorphins (chemicals in the brain that make you happy) and wake up a sleepy brain and body, thus this pose is great for focus and concentration.
What to Say
- Let’s go surfing! Bring the hammock in front of your body.
- Make the hammock skinny like a skateboard.
- Hold on to both sides of the hammock as you step up, one foot and then the other.
- Once you have your balance start to sway side-to-side or back-and-forth.
- Pull the hammock away from your body with your arm as you lean your body to the opposite side. Now do the other side.
- Don’t let go while you surf.
- To come out of the pose, stand still letting the waves calm down.
- Once your hammock is barely moving, step one foot down and then the other.
Mindful Child Aerial Hammocks are beneficial to your child’s development. Swinging is therapeutic whether it is standing, laying, or sitting in the hammock. Check out a Mindful Child class or camp for more fun and therapeutic aerial yoga poses and activities.