Ways to Cultivate Kind Kids
Kindness, like any skill, has to be learned and practiced. Fortunately, there are many fun ways to teach children how to be kind to the environment, themselves, and others.
Art is a way to introduce the concept of kindness. Children love to paint, color, and create. This simple art project combines positive affirmation (kindness to self) and creativity.
What is Kindness Rocks?
Kindness Rocks are great way to start off your child’s day. Positive affirmations are statements to help children reach their goals. Kindness rocks are a simple art activity for children eight-years-old and older to remind them to be kind to themselves. These colorful stones are just what children need to be happy on a grumpy day.
What are the Benefits?
Focusing on positive statements can shift your child’s mood. Affirmations help children believe the statement that is printed on the stone. Making your own kindness rock, boosts creativity, focus, and executive functioning.
What to Say.
- Let’s make kindness rocks to remind us to be kind to ourselves and of our positive affirmations or goals we want to achieve.
- I’m going to pass out rocks and fun acrylic color markers.
- Next, pick out a few acrylic colors. Paint the front of your stone a light, fun color. Color the outside edge with a darker color. Make a heart in the middle and color it red. Paint a word in the heart.
- Add designs such as dots and stripes to the outside of the heart. While it’s drying, take a few deep breaths.
- Finally paint decoupage, which is like shiny glue, over your rock.
- Once it is dry, put it in your pocket. Take it out when you are feeling sad. Think about your word and breathe deeply. Notice how you feel.
Being kind is easy to instill in everyday activities with your child. Immerse children in it through drawing, coloring, reading and talking about it. At Mindful Child, being kind is our number one yoga rule. We talk about being kind in every aerial yoga class as part of our social and emotional learning curriculum. Check out our online and live classes to learn more ways to inspire kindness.