Aerial yoga has the same benefits of typical yoga, but there are also additional sensory, cognitive, and health benefits. Aerial yoga gives the body more room to stretch. Since gravity isn’t an issue the spine is decompressed, muscle tension is released and blood circulation is enhanced.
WHAT IS AERIAL YOGA?
Aerial yoga uses a yoga hammock that is suspended from the ceiling. The material is super stretchy and strong. The instructor helps the student move into different poses much like a typical yoga session only the student is suspended in the air.
HOW IS IT THERAPEUTIC?
Aerial yoga provides a calming sensory experience for children. The therapeutic poses are designed with an emphasis on the central nervous system, which promotes sensory integration and self-regulation.
WHAT ARE THE SENSORY BENEFITS?
- Self-Regulation. Inversion is a great tool for self-regulation.
- Deep Pressure. The suspended yoga hammock provides deep pressure, which is instantly calming to the central nervous system.
- Body Awareness. The hammock promotes motor planning and working memory while engaging in the poses.
- Sensory Integration. The hammock provides sensory input in a tranquil, fun, therapeutic environment.
WHAT ARE THE COGNITIVE BENEFITS?
- Attention and Focus. Aerial poses require more steps than land-based yoga. Children have to focus, otherwise they fall out of the hammock.
- Executive Function. The complex poses require working memory, motor planning and awareness, which are higher level cognitive skills needed to self-regulate behavior.
- Aerial yoga improves the ability to be less reactive and more mindful of thoughts and speech.
- Reduced academic problems. We are building neuropathways every time we practice a new skill. Thus, in each class, when we practice social emotional learning, mindfulness, and aerial skills we are literally building networks in the brain!
There are a multitude of benefits associated with our style of aerial yoga, so many in fact it will take several blog posts to list them all. Stay tuned for an upcoming blog on physical and social emotional benefits.
Sign-up soon. Our classes are so fun and unique they tend to sell out with a wait list. Go us for making yoga and mindfulness so fun we can’t get kids to leave!