Slime Monsters are an easy mindfulness activity that only call for slime and googly eyes, making it inexpensive and easy to make. The kit we buy from Target has several mix-ins that come with it (click on the materials below to see the supplies we use). There is blue clay for butter slime and bingsu beads for a crunchy pop sound. The mix-ins add an element of fun and creativity. Playing with different textures makes the brain calmer and more organized. We gave ours a Halloween twist by making up creepy names for the mix-ins such as “Essence of Insanity and Wolf’s Bane.”
What are the Benefits?
Science has demonstrated that sensory play builds nerve connections in the brain’s pathways, which helps your child learn new things. Sensory play supports language development, cognitive growth, motor skills, tactile discrimination, problem-solving skills, and creative exploration.
Slime monsters are easy to create using the pre-made slime kit:
- Grab a handful of slime.
- Pick two mix-ins and just add a pinch, a little goes a long way.
- Knead the slime until the mix-ins are mixed in.
- As your child kneads the mix-ins, add a mindfulness aspect by having him notice what he smells, sees, feels and hears.
- Create the slime monster shape.
- Add some googly eyes.
- Voila – the slime monster is complete.
- Stretch it, squish it and start again.
Want to learn more ways to incorporate sensory in your child’s life? Come hang out with us at a class!