Kids were born to run, but whether they’re joining you on a run or participating in a sports program, they require guidance to ensure they remain lifelong runners. These simple steps can help kids go the distance.
- Yoga! It improves strength, flexibility, breathing capacity, and balance.
- Make it Fun! Sign up for races that glow, use color, or require a costume. Running doesn’t have to all blood, sweat, and tears.
- Juice Plus. Little bodies need nutrients to power through those agonizing miles. These nutrients come from the food you eat. Juice Plus contains 20 different fruits, vegetables, and grains. Call me for more information.
- Model it. Parent’s actions have a profound effect on their children’s behavior. Children who see their parents exercising will be more apt to engage in the same behaviors. So get moving!
- Hydrate. Skip the colored or sugared drinks. Water is all you need to power through a run. Make water fun with lemons, limes, or cucumbers.
- Healthy Habits for Life. Track your progress and set healthy goals for everyday of the week. The more you engage in an activity the easier it gets…
What’s an athlete to do when they are told they can’t run, bike, or do yoga? Seriously, how do doctors expect you to maintain cardiovascular fitness and most importantly keep those good endorphins flowing when you’re grounded from all your favorite sports. Hmmm…water jog? Boring. Elliptical? Ugh, no. Run on air? Heck yeah.
The AlterG is an anti-gravity treadmill developed by NASA-patented technology. This gravity defying treadmill allows you to run without pain while maintaining your normal gait. I can run as fast as I like for as long as I like without pain! The AlterG decreases gravity’s impact by allowing you to select any weight between 20% and 100% of your body weight by 1% increments. I started at 68% of my body weight and within 3-weeks I’m up to 85% of my body weight. Another 10% and I’ll be running outside again…
Olympic coach and three time winner of the New York City Marathon, Alberto Salazar, uses the AlterG to train the world’s best runners with no pain. He believes rehabilitation time is shortened if you are allowed to train while injured with no pain. What a brilliant man! The AlterG is not just for runners, children with neurological conditions say it feels like they are flying. Professional athletes such as Kobe Bryant have used the AlterG to rehabilitate injuries.
The AlterG has allowed me to regain my fitness while recovering from multiple injuries. If you’re in the Kansas City area look up Dr. Anthony Phillips at Inside Sports Clinic and take a spin on the AlterG. The staff is great and you’ll feel like you’re running on the moon. Ready? Lets race!